Paris 2024 Athletics : Eliud Kipchoge Ends Olympic Career After 'Worst Marathon'

 Eliud Kipchoge has announced the end of  his  Olympic career after failing to finish a race for the 1st  time ever on Saturday , August 10  during the Paris 2024 games.

 


Though disappointed , Kipchoge one of only 3 men to win the Olympic marathon twice , remained resolute. Speaking to Olympics.com , the Kenyan runner vowed to continue his marathon career  which began 11 years ago.

 

“It is a difficult time for me,”  Kipchoge admitted after dropping out just past the 30km mark,  about an hour & 40 seconds into the race, due to discomfort around his waist . "This is my worst marathon . I have never done a DNF (did not finish) . That is life. Like a boxer , I have been knocked down, I’ve won, I’ve come second, eighth, 10th, 50th – now I did not finish. That’s life."

 

When asked if he would consider another Olympic race in Los Angeles 2028 , Kipchoge responded, “You will see me in a different way , maybe giving people motivation.But I will not run."

 

"I don't know what is next. I need to go back home, sit down & reflect on my 21 years of running at a high level. I need to evolve & focus on other things,”  he added.

 

Kipchoge, who returned for his second marathon of the season at Place de l’Hôtel de Ville, was initially confident, exchanging fist bumps with fellow runners, including his long-time rival Kenenisa Bekele. He aimed to either reclaim his winning form or secure a spot on the Olympic podium for the fourth time in his fifth Olympic appearance.

 

His previous race in Berlin last September saw him become the first man to run a marathon in under two hours and three minutes, clocking in at 2:02:42. However, that record was soon broken by Kelvin Kiptum, who lowered the time to 2:00:35 before his untimely death.

 

With ideal conditions of 19 degrees Celsius and moderate humidity, Kipchoge seemed well-prepared, sporting a cooling headband designed to enhance performance in the heat. But as the race progressed, he began showing signs of distress, clutching his waist around the 15km mark.

 

It quickly became evident that Kipchoge would not complete the marathon. He fell behind the leading pack, with Swiss runner Tadese Abraham even slowing down to check on him. Kipchoge confirmed the pain, explaining, "My waist was a little bit painful. It was a sharp pain, and it was not allowing me to continue with the race.”

 

The pain intensified, forcing Kipchoge to make the difficult decision to withdraw from the race, about 12 km from the finish at Les Invalides. This marked the first time in his career that he failed to cross a marathon finish line.

 

As other runners encouraged him to push on, Kipchoge opted to walk part of the race, cheered by the large crowds lining the scenic streets. "The other runners were telling me to push on, but I was telling them, 'No, I have pain, I can’t.' I could feel the love and respect from them," Kipchoge told reporters, having completed the walk wearing only his shorts.

 

In a poignant moment, Kipchoge reflected on his final Olympic race in the French capital, the same city that had catapulted him to fame as a teenage 5000m world champion. “It was not the race I came here for,” Kipchoge admitted. "But that’s sport. Sport is up and down. Sport is like a garden where you plant seeds; sometimes you harvest flowers, and sometimes you get weeds. Today, I harvested weeds."

 

Despite the unexpected turn in his Olympic farewell, the two-time world record holder has no plans to retire just yet. "I will continue to run, absolutely. Why not?" Kipchoge said when asked about his future in running.

 

However, he ruled out a career in coaching, stating, "I have many other things to do than being a coach. I want to travel around the world, visiting different countries to motivate people."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post